SSC’s Akkerman 5200 Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM) provides the capability to build 48” and larger utility tunnels in extended lengths. The TBM is a full-face machine with rotating cutter head used to excavate the soil, and the head is articulated with hydraulic rams to make adjustments to line and grade. The TBM has the capability in ideal conditions to provide a fast, accurate and efficient installation of utility tunnels.
For the trenchless installation of utilities under roadways, freeways, railroad tracks, canals and existing utilities or structures that cannot be open cut.
The TBM is launched from a pit. The operator is in the TBM, behind the cutting head, monitoring the operation and making necessary adjustments to line and grade, which are monitored with a laser beam. As the cutting head rotates and excavates the soil, the TBM and pipe behind it are pushed forward by a hydraulic unit in the pit. The cutting head dumps the excavated soil onto a conveyor which transports to an electric muck cart that then hauls it out of the tunnel to be dumped. This process continues until the head daylights into the receiving pit where it is pushed out and removed.
- Minimum diameter is 48”
- A variety of product types can be installed: steel casing, HOBAS, rib & lag or liner plate
- Length can be extended by using intermediary jacking stations
- Requires a launch pit a minimum of 16’ wide x 40’ long and a receiving pit 12’ wide x 20’ long
- Soil conditions will drive the selection of the cutting head
- Large footprint and high set-up investment make less ideal for shorter runs
As industry experts in Trenchless Technology and non-destructive Air & Hydro Excavation, we can provide the most effective solution for your underground construction project. Please contact us today and speak to us about your next project!Contact Us